Question:
Is this a scam? The seller is telling me to use E-Bay?
2008-12-01 06:47:56 UTC
I went on craigslist and am buying a car. The seller is using e-bay. The car will be shipped to my house. Don't know if it a scam. I haven't send the money in yet. I got a email from e-bay. And everything seems straight? Don't know what to do. I really want my range rover! does this look la-git. I copied and pasted one of the emails down here

eBay sent this message to Cesar Lopez.
Your full name is included to show this message originated from eBay's Safe Harbor Service...

eBay Transaction ID #KLW941464602

Dear Cesar Lopez,

Thank you for your purchase. The total for your item below is $5,000.00.

You should feel confident paying through eBay Escrow. You do not have to worry about ensuring data: access to any confidential information will not be granted. All your personal information is encrypted and will be stored on one of our secure servers .

Safe and Secure Payment for our Customers

• 128-bit Encryption

Your transaction is secured at the highest level.

• Privacy Protection

We share your information with third parties only to complete the transaction. For other purposes, we specifically request your permission.

As a protective measure for the parties involved in this transaction the funds will be held in our account managed by eBay's Agents until you receive the item(s) ordered.
All the details required to successfully transfer the funds to the established account will be sent to you shortly.

CraigsList Item Title Qty. Price

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE
1
$5,000.00

Shipping & Handling
(Includes any seller handling fees): $0.00

Total: $5,000.00

eBay Escrow acts as a third party to protect the buyer and seller
All funds remain in an intermediary trust account until the transaction is concluded
Deposits & payouts are instant
eBay Escrow supports more languages & more than 35 different currencies
Complete privacy & secured financial data

The seller have an $20,000.00 deposit for buyer protection in our company, and if something goes wrong with your money or with the product, we two way to pay you back:

1.We will pay you the product value plus $1,000.00,

2.We will give you the money back from his deposit.

We will hold the funds until you will make the confirmation that you received the item.

If you have any questions please reply us only in this case.

The seller is going to use DAS Auto Transport Services to deliver the car to your door. The delivery will take maximum 3 days. The vehicle will be insured and will have a 30 days return policy.

Important Information

eBay Safe Harbor's protection program guards you against such problems as misrepresentation,
hidden damage, undisclosed damage, non-delivery, delayed shipping, shipments damaged and/or
stolen in transit.
To guard against any such event, you are given a period of 7 days to inspect the contents of
the shipment for signs of the above and request a refund. Refund requests are processed within
3 working days.

eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information. eBay will never ask their users for personal information, such as bank account numbers, credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, or Social Security numbers in an email.

This eBay invoice was sent from eBay SafeHarbor Team to celny516@aim.com on behalf of another eBay member through the eBay platform and in accordance with our Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1995-2008 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay.
Three answers:
2008-12-01 07:00:34 UTC
Never buy big things or anything above 200 on internet without checking them out.

and shipping them sounds stupids and it costs alot more, he may ship the car but they range rover can be damaged or it could have something you don't like.

So good thing is to see it yourself, test it and ride till you're satisfied. He/she may not like it but a good seller will do anything to comfort you.

Okay last thing is a Range rover for 5,000 sounds too old or it has some problems cause usually they're much expensive even a second hand one.

when buying things online you need to trust your instinct, if your heart tells you it's too good to believe then follow it, most of the time you're right.

this 5,000 range rover sounds too good to be true
Richard D
2008-12-02 09:52:28 UTC
Scam. The Escrow company is a front. You'll never see the car.

Make 'em sweat. Ask for the VIN and a location where the car can be inspected.
Maggie G
2008-12-01 14:56:13 UTC
THIS IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!

Do not communicate with the seller. Do not send him money. You will lose your money. You will be sad.